Tuesday, November 14, 2006

The Rest of the Story... of the "Black Cat"

Sam and I have been friends forever. Though we were classmates for only a year, our 6th grade in HK; we met again in the City of Edmonton in the late 60's. Each of us got married and had children of our own. We'd watched each other's children grow up. Eventually, I moved to the West Coast; Sam & his family stayed on the prairies; but we kept in touch with each other.

Shorly after my wife, Eva, and I started our adoption process about a year and a half ago, I made sure that Sam was the first person to know. He was perplexed, as we're both fast approaching our early-retirement years. It was then I'd offered the story about the "Black Cat" to Sam. (please refer to the bottom of the Prologue page)

Don't get me wrong; Sam and I are best of friends, however, friendship evangelism with him was to no avail; perhaps it was the inadequacies of my own testimonials, or perhaps it was the emptiness for want of prayers.

Thursday, merely two days after receiving the news of Harrison, as I was preparing the library for the larger-than-life-size of the Lion King logo (the Disney on Broadway musical) on the feature wall; it was a time of solitude, a time of reflection. My thoughts were, once again, on the "Black Cat"...

"Am I really on the floor in this dark room, on my hands and knees, looking for this very same Black Cat? And what might this "Black Cat" be?"

Just then, I began to hear a voice,

"Alexander, just because I allow "Harrison" into your life, do you really think that I gave a passing grade to the approval rating for your fatherhood, so far, to your four grown-children? Think again."
"You have failed miserably, for you have been singing to the tune, 'I Did it My Way'"
"For want of prayers has been the Achilles' heel in your life."

The voice continued...

"I'm giving you this second chance to do it once more;
once more with commitment; once more with passion;
and once more with MY HELP, talk to me about it!!!"
"And remember, to bring up this child shall not be your #1 priority. It is only secondary, for I wish to know you; and you to me. I wish for you to make use of this renewed fatherhood to fully appreciate how your Heavenly Father feels about His children on Earth!

And this, my child, is the Black Cat you've been looking for."

I can hardly wait to share this with Sam.


Visitors to this blog are encouraged to leave a comment, as a mutual exchange of good cheers and blessings. If you have an adoption blog and wish to share, leave us an URL.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I am very proud of you Alex. You have been a joy to work with and I have always felt that after a shift with you I left with some sort of knowledge. sometimes usefull sometimes not. Sometimes absolutely hilarious. I love you as a brother and look forward to meeting your lovely wife Eva and especially my nephew HARRISON. Your writing Alex is very inspiring. Keep it up. Much love to you all. God bless. KATY

12:34 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Alex:

I read your story with tears running down my cheek. What a wonderful and marvelous revelation from God. This morning we are studying the passage from John 8:1-11, one of the attributes I learned about God from this study is that He is the God of second chance, and third chanceā€¦.no matter how often we messed up, He is ready to forgive us and wipe the slate clean. His mercy is so marvelous and abundant.

I think not only God has given you a second chance but He has given Harrison a second chance as well, a chance to be loved and to love, God has given him a loving home who is committed to raising him up as a godly person. You will never know how this little life will turn out, and how much impact he will have. May God bless you and Eva. Remember, Harrison has a lot of uncles and aunties who love him even though we have not met him yet. (some of us are trying to be adopted by him as god-parents too.)

Thanks for sharing this story, is it ok if I used it one day?

3:15 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home